Click Here for Death of a Spouse or Partner Books
Mary Obey, Facilitator
Northwest Community Hospital
800 W. Central Rd.
Arlington Height, IL 60005
CANCER WELLNESS CENTER
Support for widows & widowers whose spouse has died of cancer. Also aids adult children
who've lost a parent to cancer.
Deb Wojcik, LCSW, Bereavement Coordinator
215 Revere Drive
Northbrook, IL 60062
DEERFIELD YOUTH & SOCIAL SERVICES
Predominantly for those who've lost a spouse but other adults suffering a loss are welcome.
Jerry Zachar, M.S.W., Facilitator
Meets at Deerfield Public Library.
920 Waukegan Rd.
Deerfield, IL 60015
This group plans 2-day workshops & retreats at local hospitals & churches for both widows & widowers.
Charlotte Hrubes, Director
P.O. Box 1365
La Grange, IL 60525
MIDWEST PALLIATIVE & HOSPICE CARECENTER
Jacalyn Linko, LCSW, Coordinator of Counseling Services
(847) 467-7423 (north suburbs), (708) 283-8150 (south suburbs)
Palos Community Hospital
Adult bereavement in Spring and Fall
Palos Heights, IL
In cooperation with Lutheran General Hospital and Resurrection Hospital
web address: www.rainbowhospice.org
1) WIDOWED SUPPORT GROUP: An on-going group. One-to-one outreach to the newly widowed.
Monthly brunch & dinner for the widowed. Education committee. Monthly newsletter. Also telephone outreach.
2) YOUNGER WIDOWED SUPPORT GROUP: An on-going group.
3) JOYFUL AGAIN WEEKEND: An annual program for widowed persons facilitated by trained individuals who have themselves
4) LIFE TRANSITIONS: For people widowed to 3 years
5) GOOD MOURNING: For children and families
6) ADULT LOSS OF A CHILD: For parents who have lost an adult child
7) ADULT LOSS OF SIBLING: For adults who have lost a brother or sister
8) ADULT LOSS OF PARENT: For adults who have lost a parent
WIDOWS & WIDOWERS LEARNING TO LIVE ALONE
Sheri Fox, L.C.S.W., Facilitator
Jewish Family & Community Service
Niles District Office
Goldie Bachmann Luftig Building
5150 Golf Rd.
I’m Grieving as Fast as I Can: How Young Widows & Widowers Can Cope and Heal, by L. Feinberg
Widow to Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas for Rebuilding Your Life, by G. Ginsburg
Living When a Loved One has Died, by Earl Grollman
The Tender Scar: Life after the Death of a Spouse, by R. Mabry
Healing a Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas after Your Husband or Wife Dies, by Alan Wolfelt
Gay Widowers: Life after the Death of a Partner, by M. Shernoff
“The first online information and self-help resource for, and by, widows and widowers. Topics covered include grief, bereavement, recovery, and other information helpful to people, of all ages, religious backgrounds and sexual orientations, who have suffered the death of a spouse or life partner.”